In February 2012, a group of 8 public and private subjects from Friuli Venezia Giulia (Comune di Marano Lagunare and of Duino-Aurisina, Confcooperative FVG, Legacoop FVG, UILA FVG, Consorzio Promotrieste, Portomaran, Aries), presented its candidacy to the competent regional authorities to form a Gruppo di Azione Costiera (Coastal Action Group) for the management of a Local Development Plan for the fishing, aquaculture sectors and associated activities.
In June 2012, the project was approved by Friuli Venezia Giulia Region, providing the framework for preparatory activities for the realisation of numerous specific projects for the development of the coastal areas of Duino-Aurisina and Marano Lagunare, which will be implemented over a three-year period between 2013 and 2015.
This activity has been made possible by the European Fishing Fund 2007-2013, the main EU tool for supporting the sector, which in its Axis IV, foresees and encourages the “Sustainable development of fishing zones” and the creation of subjects able to develop effective strategies for growth taking material form in “Local Development Plans” able to make best use of public resources dedicated to fishing and aquaculture throughout Europe.
The Local Development Plan of the GAC Friuli Venezia Giulia comprises a number of projects grouped into three principal subsidiary areas:
- Promotion of local fish products;
- Advertising campaign dedicated to the market;
- Internationalisation and promotion abroad in neighbouring markets;
- Development of multi-sectorial nature of fishing, aquaculture and associated activities;
- Development of short distribution chains for sale of local fish products;
- Quayside infrastructural works.
Administration of environment and local territory
- Research plan for cleaning of seabed;
- Coordination of initiatives in field of nature tourism and environmental awareness;
- Restocking of fish in protected and special control areas;
- Control of fishing activities in the Duino Riserva delle Falesie (Cliffs Reserve);
- Coordination centre for biological resources and environmental and tourist marine centre;
- Modification of infrastructure for the development of ecological tourism, fish tourism and recreational fishing.
National and trans-national cooperation
- Exchange of best practice with neighbouring production activities in Slovenia and Croatia.